This privacy notice explains how Jackie Scott Ltd use and protect the personal information that we hold about you. Contact details for Jackie Scott Ltd are set out at the end of this notice. In this privacy notice, the “Data Protection Laws” means the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) which came into force on 25th May 2018, together with all other applicable legislation relating to privacy or data protection in force from time to time.
Any reference to our Regulatory Body, means the Council of Licensed Conveyancers.
Jackie Scott Ltd is not governed by the Freedom of Information Act as it is not a public authority.
What is personal information?
Personal information broadly means information that identifies (or which could, with other information that we hold or are likely to hold, identify) a living individual. This includes any information provided to us by or on behalf of you.
What types of personal information about you might we hold?
We process personal information to enable us to run Jackie Scott Ltd, to support the provision of services to clients, to maintain our own accounts and to promote our services.
We collect and process the information about you that you provide:
* By completing any forms that we send to you, when you request information such as a quote for our services, report problems or require additional services.
* By corresponding with us and our service providers (such as email, letter, text, phone or otherwise).
* In response to a request.
* Through your distribution of any referral or affiliate link.
We may hold and process any or all of the following personal information about you:
* Personal details such as your name, gender, age, date of birth, contact details (e.g. your address and postcode, email address, telephone and mobile numbers), and identifiers such as your National Insurance number, pension or member reference number and employee number (where applicable).
* Details of your family, lifestyle and social circumstances. This could include details about your current marriage or civil partnership, any previous relationships and details of your family and dependants.
* Other financial details such as bank account details and payments made to and from Jackie Scott Ltd.
* Information about your physical or mental health (where there is a legal basis for the processing of such data under the Data Protection Laws – see below).
* Details about how you interact with us via our website or social media.
* Details of when you contact us or when we contact you including, but not limited to, voicemails and telephone calls and copies of written communications such as emails or letters.
* Any consents you have given us in relation to processing your information
Why do we hold this information?
Jackie Scott Ltd holds your personal information because we need it to complete and perform the contract you have employed us to do. Without your personal information, we cannot provide you with the correct level of service, at the right time.
For example, when completing a Stamp Duty Land Tax form for H M Revenue and Customs, we provide your National Insurance number, passport number and Date of Birth for the purposes of verifying your identity.
Jackie Scott Ltd holds your personal information in connection with our role as provider of legal services. For example, we may need this information to process your queries, verify your identity or carry out business processes. Jackie Scott Ltd may also provide you with information in relation to other services available which you have asked for or which we think may be of interest to you.
Using your information in accordance with Data Protection Laws
Data Protection Laws require us to meet certain conditions before we are allowed to use your personal information in the way described in this privacy notice.
Jackie Scott Ltd rely on a condition that allows us to use your personal information to comply with our legal obligations. We also rely on a condition known as ‘legitimate interests’ in order to use this information in the way described in this privacy notice. It is necessary for our legitimate interests to collect and process your personal information as we need this to perform the role you have asked us to do.
We will keep the amount of personal information collected and the extent of any processing to a minimum.
We will only process ‘sensitive’ or ‘special categories’ of personal information under the Data Protection Laws (e.g. information about your health) where you have explicitly consented to this or where there is an alternative legal basis for processing this information under the Data Protection Laws (e.g. it is required by law). This may mean that you will be asked to sign consent forms in the future. If you don’t consent to our processing this information when asked to do so, it may mean that we are unable to continue to act for you. Once you have given your consent, you can withdraw it at any time by writing to us using the contact details below.
What do we do with the information?
We may use your personal information for a number of purposes, including the following:
* To carry out our obligations arising from any agreement that we have with, or concerning, you and to provide you with the information, benefits and services that you request from us.
* For statistical, financial modelling, funding, accounting and reference purposes.
* For internal record keeping.
* For risk management purposes.
* Complying with our legal obligations, any relevant industry or professional rules and regulations or any applicable voluntary codes.
* Complying with demands or requests made by any relevant regulators, government departments and law enforcement or tax authorities or in connection with any disputes or litigation.
* In connection with any sale, merger, acquisition, disposal, reorganisation or similar change of Jackie Scott Limited’s business.
In addition, Jackie Scott Ltd may use your information:
* To ensure that our website is as fast and efficient as possible, and compatible with your software and settings.
* To enable sub-contractors (if any) to provide aspects of our services to you.
* To analyse and improve the services we provide.
* To allow you to use different resources and materials on our website.
* To personalise the way information on our website is presented to you.
* To allow you to share content and materials on our website via social media or other communication means.
* To give you information on products and services which you have asked for or which we think may be of interest to you.
We may use your information to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which products, services and offers may be relevant for you.
You may receive marketing messages from us if you are a member or have otherwise requested information from us and have not opted out of receiving that marketing. We may also send you marketing communications if we have received your express consent to do so including where we have collected your details in connection with other purposes and you have agreed to receive marketing from us. You can stop receiving marketing messages from us at any time.
You can do this:
* By contacting us on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01243 823090
* Once you do this, we will update your profile to ensure that you don’t receive further marketing messages.
* Stopping marketing messages will not stop service communications.
How long do we keep your information for?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for Jackie Scott Ltd to perform our role and comply with the requirements of our Regulatory Body.
We will keep your personal information for as long as you are a client.
After you stop being a client:
* We may contact you for up to 3 years, unless you have asked us not to send marketing messages to you (see ‘Marketing’ above).
* We may keep your personal information for up to 7 years for one of these reasons:
o – To respond to questions or complaints;
o – To show that we treated you fairly; or
o – To maintain records according to legal requirements and documented business need.
* We may keep your personal information for longer than 7 years if we cannot delete it for legal, regulatory or technical reasons. In these circumstances, we will make sure that your privacy is protected and only use it for legal or regulatory purposes.
Who do we share the information with?
Where appropriate for the purposes of performing the contract we have with you, we may share your information with:
* Any other person who is authorised to act on your behalf.
* Regulators, government departments, law enforcement authorities, tax authorities and insurance companies if a specific request is made by them.
* Any relevant ombudsman, dispute resolution body or the courts.
* Persons in connection with any sale, merger, acquisition, disposal, reorganisation or similar change in the Jackie Scott Limited business.
* Third parties who provide products and services useful to you and for which you have given your express consent for your information to be shared. For example, a Surveyor, Mortgage Broker or Estate Agent.
* To assist us in verifying your identity.
* Preventing or detecting financial crime.
* Complaints handling.
* Improving customer service.
The entities listed above may also share personal data with their own business suppliers, for example in relation to the operation of IT systems or where they outsource part of their services.
Some of these entities may also be controllers under the Data Protection Laws.
In the usual course of our business, we may use other third party organisations known as ‘data processors’ under data protection law to support the essential delivery of our services. These organisations process your personal information on our behalf.
These types of organisations are:
* Mailing, email, SMS messaging, and/or print fulfilment organisations (to enable us to communicate with you efficiently);
* Providers of business services such as auditors, consultants, solicitors and/or insurers (to enable us to run Jackie Scott Ltd efficiently);
* Providers of records management services such as secure disposal suppliers, and IT storage providers (to enable us to secure data efficiently);
* Providers of IT systems or services (to enable us to run Jackie Scott Ltd efficiently);
* Market researchers (to help us to improve the services we offer);
* Providers of information management services (to help us learn about our clients);
* Companies you ask us to share your personal information with (upon request).
When we share your information with our approved third party providers, our contractual relationship with them prevents them from using your information for any other purpose outside of our instructions to them. They may use their own third party data processors but are always required to meet the same legal requirements as Jackie Scott Ltd.
Jackie Scott Ltd will never share or sell your information to external companies for their own marketing purposes.
Where we store your personal data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred outside the UK or the EEA. This will be governed by the Data Protection Laws.
Further, if you live or work outside of the UK or the EEA, we may need to transfer your personal data outside of the UK or the EEA to respond to any queries that you may have. Where this applies, we will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy notice.
Your rights in relation to your personal information
The accuracy of the information that we hold about you is important to us. If any of the information that we hold is inaccurate or out of date, please let us know using the contact details set out at the end of this notice.
You have a number of rights under the Data Protection Laws in relation to the way we process your personal data, namely:
* To access your data.
* To have your data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
* In certain circumstances, to have your data deleted or removed.
* In certain circumstances, to restrict the processing of your data.
* To claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection Laws.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please let us know using the contact details set out at the end of this notice.
We will aim to respond to any request received from you within one month from your request. Access to your data will usually be provided free of charge, although in certain circumstances we may make a small charge where entitled to do so under the Data Protection Laws.
Please note that we may be unable to delete or remove your data whilst we still need this to comply with the requirements of our Regulatory Body – see the section ‘How long do we keep information for?’ above.
If you choose not to give your personal information
We may need to collect personal information by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you.
If you choose not to give us this personal information, it may delay or prevent us from meeting our obligations. It may also mean that we cannot provide you with services. We will notify you if your choice not to give personal information to us would result in a delay or prevent us from meeting our obligations.
Any personal information that is optional will be clearly marked at the point of collection.
If you are not happy with the way in which your personal information is held or processed, please contact us using the details below. You also have the right to complain about data protection matters to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
The ICO is the UK’s independent body set up to uphold information rights. You can find out more about the ICO on its website. The ICO can be contacted by calling 0303 123 1113.
Changes to this privacy notice
This privacy notice is current as at 25 May 2018. We keep our privacy notice under regular review and may change it at any time. We will tell you about any significant changes.
When you contact us, we will need to verify your identity for your security. Verifying identity is an important way of safeguarding against criminal activities including the prevention of illicit access to your information.
If we are unable to validate your identity, we may ask you to provide further evidence so that we can access your information.
Jackie Scott Ltd reserve the right to discuss any financial transactions with the originating account holder.
If you have any queries about this privacy notice, or wish to exercise any of the rights above, please contact Jackie Scott on email@example.com or in writing at 74 Felpham Road, Felpham, West Sussex, PO22 7NZ.